Skip to Main Content
Toll-Free  877-797-3222




Music is one of the many disciplines in which the humanities department at EACC offers a variety of courses.

Many students take music courses from the humanities department because they find them fun and fulfilling, while also earning college credit. Students do not have to be working toward a degree to take music classes.

Students can take private instruction in guitar, piano, and voice. These lessons are scheduled individually with the instructor. Private music instruction can be scheduled either for ½ hour a week (which earns students 1 hour of college credit) or 1 hour per week (which earns students 2 hours of college credit). Private music instruction can be taken either in Forrest City or in Wynne. In order for instructors to contact a student to schedule music instruction, students must make sure current phone numbers and email addresses are on file with the registrar’s office.

EACC can offer choirs, College Singers and Gospel Singers, and students may enroll in either or both for 1 hour of college credit each.

Courses offered by the humanities department, including applied music courses, are generally considered transferable to four-year colleges and universities. Students who plan to transfer to another higher education institution should review the requirements of that institution, although EACC’s counselors are happy to assist students with transfer issues.

For more information on music courses, contact the music instructor, Ruth Ann Vowan (, or the Associate Vice President for General Studies, Cathie Cline (

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I enroll?
You contact the staff in the Betty Jo Hodges building for more information. You can also learn more about enrolling in EACC on the college’s website: and click on admissions. Be sure the registrar's office has current phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

Who can take music courses for credit at EACC?
Just about anybody! Students taking humanities courses do not have to be working toward a degree. Students must be at least 14 years of age, but there is no maximum age to take courses at EACC. We strongly believe that learning is a lifelong activity. In fact, seniors taking classes for credit can qualify for reduced tuition or no tuition. See the EACC website for more information.

Do all music courses transfer to a four-year college or university?
Students should always check the catalog of the university or college to which they plan to transfer for transfer requirements, but in general, music courses are considered transferable.

Do all music courses count toward my degree?
Check the specific requirements of the degree you are seeking to be sure. Music Appreciation, a 3-hour introductory course, can count toward fulfilling general education (called gen ed) requirements for associate of arts degrees and bachelor of arts degrees conferred by public institutions in the state of Arkansas. Applied music courses, such as choir and private instruction, can count toward electives hours required for many degrees.

How many credit hours can I earn by taking a course?
Look at the fourth digit of the course number. For example, MUS 1003 counts for 3 credit hours; MUS 1922 counts for 2 credit hours; MUS 1021 counts for 1 credit hour.

Where can I find a schedule of music courses? Look at the EACC website: The current schedule is updated regularly.

East Arkansas Community College

Social Media Hub